The name Joseph Kony has been popping up all over the Internet today.
Who is Joseph Kony?
- Joseph Kony was born 1961 in Odek, Uganda, he is is the leader of a Ugandan guerrilla group known as the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA).
- The violent group aims to establish a theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments throughout Uganda.
- The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.
- Since the rebellion started in 1986, the group has abducted and forced an estimated 66,000 children to fight for them.
- In 2005 the International Criminal Court charged Kony with crimes against humanity, which include; murder, enslavement, sexual enslavement and rape, cruel treatment of civilians, intentionally directing an attack against a civilian population, pillaging, inducing rape, and forced enlisting of children into the rebel ranks.
- After the September 11th attacks, the United States declared the Lord’s Resistance Army a terrorist group.
But some believe that the organisation has only started this campaign for financial gain and the American government just want to get their hands on the region’s natural resource.
Your thoughts please……
Categories: UK News