Home > News > UPDATE: PARALYMPIC STAR OSCAR PISTORIUS FORMALLY CHARGED WITH MURDER

UPDATE: PARALYMPIC STAR OSCAR PISTORIUS FORMALLY CHARGED WITH MURDER

February 14, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments
Oscar Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius

Via The Daily Mail

South African paralympic star Oscar Pistorius  has been charged with murder and is in custody after reportedly shooting his  girlfriend dead in the middle of the night after mistaking her for a  burglar.

Gunfire was heard inside his  Pretoria mansion at  4am this morning and it is believed his  partner may have been killed after a Valentine’s Day surprise went tragically  wrong.

The dead woman is  Reeva Steenkamp, 30, a former FHM model who had been dating the 26-year-old for  two months.

She was shot in the head, the chest and the  arm, police have said, and Pistorius will appear in court tomorrow after a  hearing scheduled for this afternoon was cancelled. Continue Reading…..

Some media outlets seem convinced that this was a tragic accident (Pistorius thought his girlfriend was an intruder) and have been quick to shift the focus on South Africa’s  crime rate. According to the Daily Mail the country has the ‘second highest gun crime rate on earth’.

Hmmmm….. I see where they are going with this and I don’t like it. The media is constantly bringing up South Africa’s supposedly astronomically high crime rate and is subtly pointing the finger at the majority – the black population. They are slyly peddling the notion that the inspirational and all around “good guy” Oscar was living in fear for his life and that this tragic “accident” would not have happened if it wasn’t for the post-apartheid era, South Africa’s black population and the country’s murder rate.

The Guardian however reports police spokeswoman, Denise Beukes, said (video) earlier reports that the suspect had been surprised by his girlfriend and had thought she was an intruder had not come from police.

Beukes said in a statement:

“The South Africa police service were just as surprised this morning to hear on the radio that allegations had been made that the deceased had been perceived to be a burglar. We were very surprised and those allegations did not come from us.”

But innocent until proven guilty.

CLICK HERE to read about Oscar’s appearance in court earlier day.

Rest In Peace Reeva Steenkamp.

1. February 15, 2013 at 12:05 am | #1

its all about perception….

2. IceQueen
    February 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm | #2

I agree Janice…they has been a heavy slant on the crime statistics etc to the point that this has become the focus of the story. It also done as a way for you to feel sorry for him, and see him as a victim rather than a murderer…..

3. February 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm | #3

The man has been charged with murder but some media outlets are still saying that this was just a “tragic accident” and that he thought she was an intruder. Even after the police stated they had never said any of this. Then the media pulls up suspect crime statistics to distract people and its working.

4. February 15, 2013 at 1:08 pm | #4

very interesting which is why i said its all about perception….
    we are being given a story that suggests it was an accident…. minus the side stories that they had an aggressive disputes beforehand…… thats not being reported!!
    PERCEPTION…… REST IN PEACE TO THE VICTIM

5. February 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm | #5

I don’t know, maybe I’m reading too much into this, but it seems to me it’s getting so much attention not only because of who he is, but also because it was a pretty blonde model who he killed. I live in Spain and this is all over the news, yet when that NFL player killed his wife and then killed himself it didn’t even get a mention. R.I.P Reeva Steenkamp it’s a very sad story.

6. February 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm | #6

I wouldn’t even call the “mistaken intruder” story ‘speculation’ – media outlets just made shit up and hoped it would be true, as if repeating it enough times would make it real. It is a tragedy, but for Reeva Steenkamp and the families involved.

7. February 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm | #7

I agree

8. February 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm | #8

Pheva :

Very True, that intruder story is rubbish

9. February 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm | #9

Chico-Rei :

The media tends to go overboard with coverage especially if the victim is young, attractive and blond. Tabloid rag The Sun has even gone as far as to publish photographs of her posing in a bikini splashed across the front page.

10. February 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm | #10

but also [painting him as a victim.. and then laying the blame at the violence suburbs of south africa .. like it gives a sublimininal message of maybe he was just protecting himself
    and we should be more sympathatic because of who he is (parolympian) etc etc
    this is a terrible situation but he is yet to be proven innocent or guilty in my mind….. i want to reserve judgement

11. February 16, 2013 at 1:52 am | #11

Accident smaccident, he lost me at 4 shots… I’ll leave you with my fave line (to be precise it’s the last one) from Bridge Kelly’s White Lies –

How was I supposed to know that it was him,
    And not some murderous fool,
    The fact that he was cheating Judge,
    I promise it had nothing to do,
    With why I reloaded twice.

In fact just listen to the whole song…

12. February 16, 2013 at 8:53 am | #12

I read police found him sat down next to her body. She was apparently shot through the bathroom door. What robber uses the bathroom (what smart grab and dash robber). Plus hey live in a high security gated community. what crime do they actually see huh. This story will be interesting as it unfolds.

13. Chico-Rei
    February 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm | #13

I agree with Ty because he is a parolympian people automatically think he couldn’t do it. I had the same thinking and then caught myself, just because someone has got one arm or in a wheelchair it doesn;t automatically make them a nice person, to me it’s a no brainer he done it. I personally have a problem with white South Africans, they are always talking about security and about black people there. I know it’s very bad there, the problem is, if you steal something from someone with force, you can never rest easy.

14. February 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm | #14

well saw this posted on fb by a fellow blogger. seems there is a bloodied baseball bat. did she tr defend herself or did he use it. one of the shots got her in the hip http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hEbBC5ZwpVKpe6182ncKqlGKYNvg?docId=CNG.12be299253dc2dc11e7c391c74e2d4d2.751

15. Melissa
    February 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm | #15

I get the feeling they are going to say he was defending himself against her.