Home > UK News > BLACK BRITISH CREATIVES – THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT

BLACK BRITISH CREATIVES – THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT

February 4, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments
The Real McCoy cast

The Real McCoy cast

Several years ago I remember hearing through the grapevine that the BBC were claiming to have lost recordings of the hit 1990s BBC 2 comedy sketch show The Real McCoy, after there were calls from the black community to make the series (which ran from 1991-1996) available on DVD.

Well imagine my surprise when I visited The Voice website last week and read that after a lengthy ‘Bring Back The Real McCoy’ campaign the BBC has now issued the following statement:

A BBC Worldwide spokesperson told The Voice: “There are no current plans to release The Real McCoy on DVD as, regrettably, we do not feel there is a big enough market to justify the investment. However, we would be happy to discuss licensing the rights to the series with a third party DVD distributor.”

CLICK HERE to read the full article.

Hmmmmmm… *side eye*

To be honest we shouldn’t even be surprised at the BBC’s decision to leave The Real McCoy locked away gathering dust in a large vault. The reality is that Auntie Beeb OWNS the rights to the show and therefore has the freedom and the power to do as they please.

OWNERSHIP is key here. This is why I always smile when I see black British script writers, directors and producers taking control by creating and funding their own projects (e.g Venus vs Mars, Meet The Adebanjo’s, Brothers With No Game, Dear Jesus, The Ryan Sisters, All About The McKenzies) and utilizing online platforms to ensure that their work is seen and enjoyed by an audience worldwide.

I am also proud to see Sky satellite channels like OHTV and VoxAfrica steadily rising to prominence.

It is time to wake up folks! Major TV networks and TV executives in this country are only interested in telling “our stories” if that story involves death, destruction, road man antics, street slang, run down council estates and black men running around like a herd of wild wildebeests.

If we want variety and balance then the only way forward is to write/produce those stories and create our own platforms, which  I am pleased to say is slowly starting to happen.

It is however disappointing that the BBC has decided against making The Real McCoy available on DVD, it was a brilliant show. But I also think that we need to move on now and focus on looking to the future.

Congratulations and well done to the creators of each of the web series projects mentioned above. Keep up the good work.

The future looks bright.

Your thoughts please….

1. Karen
    February 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm | #1

I bet if all us black folks got together and put a petition/letter to the BBC that we intend on boycotting paying the TV License, someone at the BBC would stand up and take notice.

2. February 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm | #2

If we owned our own distribution companies this probably wouldn’t be an issue now because then we could buy the licence from the BBC instead of having to go down this campaign route.

3. February 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm | #3

F*** the BBC, not a big enough market…………….. have they looked on youtube? people are going crazy for the posts, once again they show their true colours and still black people don’t get it. The BBC want black stories, but told by white people, not by black people. Check this Leo Muhammed talks about it, in this interview.

4. February 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm | #4

Spot on observation Jan

Also recently learned that Arise Media will be launching two TV channels, one dedicated to news, the other, entertainment. Promising times indeed.

” They wouldn’t care. They would just end up fining us all £5,000 and if they don’t get that the law will step in and throw us all in behind bars.

But perhaps one day VoxAfrica or possibly OHTV might buy the licence and air it on their channels.”

5. February 4, 2013 at 9:23 pm | #5

Nothing Leo says in that interview shocks me. Typical TV network antics. I am actually surprised that The Real McCoy survived for 5 years with all those politricks going on behind the scenes.

What is interesting is how well the Asian comedians have done since the show ended in particular Meera Sahel. She has gone on to do phenomenally well. Some of them (including Meera) went on to create the BBC sketch show Goodness Gracious Me which was a huge success and have appeared in major TV and film projects since then.
    They have moved on and created their own projects, production companies etc and have just got on with it and we need to do the same.

Last year The Real McCoy celebrated it’s 21st anniversary at the BBC’s Television Centre and I remember reading on The Voice website that people associated with the show criticised their hosts the BBC for not bringing the show back etc. I laughed because I thought sitting down inside BBC headquarters to celebrate the birth of the show, only to then go and criticise them in their house was pointless. It wasn’t going to change anything. It didn’t change anything!

Leo created the hysterically funny comic character Mr Fraser. That character has stood the test of time so why not create a web series sitcom featuring the character? The same goes for the other actors and actresses who appeared in The Real McCoy. Why not create a new sketch show also featuring new comic talent. Okay you won’t have the BBC’s budget but it would be a start. Angie Le Mar is doing it with the Ryan Sisters.

People need to get it in to their heads that there is no longer any point in sitting down waiting and begging for these TV networks to acknowledge our existence. We need to work together in building our own projects and platforms and start utilizing the platforms that are now available to us, which I stated in my post, I’m glad to see is already happening.

It’s the only way forward.

6. February 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm | #6

I couldn’t agree more that we need to do it for ourselves, – you sighted Angie le Mar doing it with the Ryan Sisters but how many of us are supporting her? Check out the viewing figures on Youtube – not great. Come on why are we not making this go viral? Look at the viewing figures for those comic or music videos and compare it with the figures for shows like The Ryan Sisters – let’s practice what we preach.

Every time I see criticisms of organisations like the BBC, I see endless people agreeing how we need to do it for ourselves yet we fail to support those among us brave enough to try. I’ll check out the viewing figures for Ryan Sisters and see how many more people watch this now!!

7. February 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm | #7

I support The Ryan Sisters. I have posted the episodes so far and love it. But yes I have noticed the YouTube views but I know this will change soon.

8. February 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm | #8

@Evadney alot of people don’t watch the Ryan sisters because they don’t know about it.

9. February 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm | #9

@Chico

I agree that could also be the problem. More sites should post the episodes and there perhaps needs to be more of a promotional push.

10. February 5, 2013 at 10:16 pm | #10

Is there a single website where you can view all these different web shows shows? I’m tempted to develop one myself if there isn’t.

11. February 5, 2013 at 10:20 pm | #11

At this point in time all episodes for each of these shows can be watched on their YouTube channels.

12. February 6, 2013 at 9:25 am | #12

Pheva :

That’s a very good idea, you should get in touch with them and do it.

13. BROWN EYEZ
    February 16, 2013 at 1:56 am | #13

I have most of the episodes recorded on video…Im sure there is a way that I can transfer the footage to dvd!!!….. #idea

14. March 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm | #14

part of the reason as to why many will go on and on about ‘TRM’ is that there has been nothing like it in terms of artistic expression and African / Black political thought on Uk TV

I like these YouTube comics and hopefully they too can reach such heights with support and such

The Almighty’s Blessings

15. Vivyrich
    October 19, 2013 at 6:43 am | #15

I bitterley resent paying for a bbc licence when the corporation is so blatantly racist. Why can we not have a re-run of The Real McCoy even as a token gesture during black history month?
    I watch more on the internet channels now, which I pay for broadband service. I watch lots on sky, for which I pay handsomeley each month. I would not hesiate to have the BBC completely removed from my television specification in exchange fr a refund of my license fee!